Furniture Stores In Western Mass – Walk Proud, Stand Tall (Leisure Western) – Home Office
Furniture Stores In Western Mass
- western mass
- Western Massachusetts is a loosely defined geographical region of the U.S. state of Massachusetts which contains the Berkshires and the Pioneer Valley.
- Furniture was a British pop band, active from 1979 to 1991 and best known for their 1986 Top 30 hit "Brilliant Mind".
- In typesetting, furniture is a term for pieces of wood that are shorter than the height of the type. These pieces are used to layout type by blocking out empty spaces (white space) in a layout set in a chase.
- furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"
- Furniture (probably from the French 'fournir' — to provide) is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above
- Storage is an important consideration for any wine that is being kept for long-term aging. While most wine produced today is meant for near-term consumption (with much being consumed within 24 hours of purchase), there are certain situations in which it may be set aside for long-term storage. T.
- store – shop: a mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services; "he bought it at a shop on Cape Cod"
- store – a supply of something available for future use; "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
- store – keep or lay aside for future use; "store grain for the winter"; "The bear stores fat for the period of hibernation when he doesn't eat"
The Stockholm Street Historic District, located in the western part of Ridgewood, Queens, is a one-block ensemble of brick rowhouses representing one of the most intact, harmonious, and architecturally-distinguished enclaves of working-class dwellings built in New York City during the early twentieth century. The historic district consists of thirty-six houses, one former stable, and two garages, lining both sides of a brick-paved street. Thirty-five of the houses were constructed between 1907 and 1910, when Ridgewood was being developed by German-Americans and immigrants from Germany. The rows, which feature full-width wooden porches with columns, projecting bays, uninterrupted cornice lines, and bricks produced by the Kreischer Brick Manufacturing Company of Staten Island, were designed by the architectural firm Louis Berger & Company and built by Joseph Weiss & Company. In addition, the historic district has Ridgewood’s only-extant brick street pavement. The district retains a high level of integrity and the ambience that has distinguished it since the early twentieth century.
History of Ridgewood, Queens
Located in western Queens County, Ridgewood shares much of its history and character with the adjacent neighborhood of Bushwick, Brooklyn. Both areas were inhabited by the Mespachtes Indians prior to being settled by Europeans. Bushwick was one of the original six towns of Brooklyn, while Ridgewood was part of Newtown, one of the original three towns of Queens County. In 1854, Bushwick became part of the City of Brooklyn, which consolidated with four other counties, including Queens County, to form the City of New York in 1898.
During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, farms in Bushwick and Ridgewood were tilled by Dutch and British families, who grew lettuce, corn, potatoes, cauliflower, and a variety of fruits for urban markets in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The only-known Dutch farmhouse surviving in Ridgewood is the Adrian and Ann Wyckoff Onderdonk House, a designated New York City Landmark. Built in the last quarter of the eighteenth century, the house was restored in 1980-82.
The discovery of pure ground water in Bushwick in the mid-nineteenth century spurred
the construction of several breweries, most of which were owned by German immigrants, whose work force included many other Germans. Development in Bushwick was further propelled by improvements in transportation. The Myrtle Avenue horsecar line was extended east to Broadway in 1855, while the elevated rapid transit line reached Broadway in 1879. By 1880, at least eleven breweries, including Rheingold and Schaefer, were operating within a fourteen block area in western Bushwick, known as "brewer’s row,"3 and other industrious German immigrants opened factories and knitting mills in the area. Tenements and small row houses were built to house the workers and their families.4
Located to the east of Bushwick, Ridgewood remained largely rural until after the consolidation of the City of New York in 1898, just as the last vacant land in Bushwick was being developed. A number of picnic grounds, amusement parks, and racetracks had already opened amidst Ridgewood’s fields and farming villages following the arrival in 1888 of the elevated rapid transit line, which terminated at Wyckoff Avenue along the Brooklyn/Queens border, and the extension of the electrified trolley from Bushwick to Fresh Pond Road in Ridgewood in 1894.5 By the turn of the century, Bushwick’s builders began purchasing Ridgewood’s farms, parks, and racetracks. Over the next two decades they constructed tenements and small row houses similar to those they had built for the German immigrant workers and their families in Bushwick.
From the turn of the century to World War I, over 5,000 structures were built in Ridgewood.7 The developers built wood-frame houses until 1905, when building codes took effect requiring masonry construction. All subsequent construction in Bushwick and Ridgewood, including the Stockholm Street Historic District, was masonry.8 Most of the builders hired the architectural firm Louis Berger & Co. to design their rows, which were faced largely with bricks produced by the Kreischer Brick Manufacturing Company. Thus, many of Ridgewood’s buildings share similar designs, brickwork, and ornamentation.
Building stopped during World War I, resuming at a slower pace following the war and continuing until the last Ridgewood farms were developed in the late 1930s. During this period, a wider variety of housing was built, including new-law tenements and attached and semi-detached single- and multi-family houses.
Germans in New York City, Bushwick, and Ridgewood
From its founding in 1626 by Peter Minuit, a native of the German town of Wesel am Rhein, New York City has had a significant German population. During the 1820s, the first German